Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Treatment #5 of 8

This is the day I went for my 5th treatment. I fixed myself all up, and was feeling upbeat that day. Everyone had helped convince me that Friday the 13th was a bad day for cancer cells, and a good day for me. I had 5 grandchildren here to greet me when I got home, and I felt pretty good. Later that night , I was relieved to only have a headache, which is always my first sign that chemicals are invading my body. We all decided to color some pictures.
Damon, my oldest grandchild has spent his entire week creating pictures for me, and he insisted on displaying them on the fridge. He asked for all the magnets we could find.
Our friend Holly Barlow makes a regular visit over to the house every few days, and if anyone has toe nails that need to be polished, she will do a spectacular job for whoever wants it. This is Allie,showing her enthusiasm after telling Holly exactly what she wanted, flowers, colors, and all.


Saturday and Sunday ended up being very good days, I was only a little bit nauseated, and was able to keep a little food down. I made it to 3 hrs of church on Sunday, which was a big blessing, considering this was day 3 after treatment. I had some family from Texas drive up from Vegas and spend the afternoon with us, and I was amazed at how I felt, really not too bad. I was a little sore in my muscles, and a slight headache and mild nausea, but I functioned pretty well the whole day. I think it helped to have people that love me spend time with me.
This is my neice, and nephew, and their mother, who was the first sister in law I ever had. They brought a great spirit to my day. They have a strong belief in God, and Jesus Christ, and we shared stories about how the spirit sustains us.

One other thing made a big difference in my weekend was a priesthood blessing that I had the night before treatment #5. Some of you might think I ask for an awful LOT of blessings, and it's true, I do. They help me so much. I feel such strength from them. I was VERY afraid of how I would react to this new drug called "Taxotere". I was taught in the blessing to exhibit a LOT of faith, if I want to claim the blessings that I have been promised, I thought I was doing pretty good in the faith department, but that goes to show you, we can ALWAYS do better. I am trying to find out what else the Lord wants me to do. Today is day 5 after treatment , and I do feel worse than before, much more nausea, and gosh darn it, anxiety is back. I just have a pit in my stomach all day long. I don't really know what it means, but I am trying all kinds of stuff to fight it. Washing, drying, and folding laundry kind of helped. I am not tired enough to sleep, and yet I don't seem to have enough ambition to remodel my basement. It is very frustrating. Thank you for those who come visit, I think I do better when I have someone to talk to.

I will see the Dr. on Friday, and we'll see if anything is going to change, but as for now, I am not scheduled to have another treatment until July 3rd, so I am going to fly to San Diego, and see my brother get married. We have waited MANY long years for this, and even if I am sick, I want to be there, Jun 27th to see it.

thank you again for even reading this blog, thank you for even caring. It gives me motivation to go on, honestly. Keep leaving little comments, it really makes my day. Thank you again, I love you all.

15 comments:

Emett Family said...

Good to hear you have so much family around visiting! Keep up the positive attitude. You are so motivating! We think of you often and especially on Fridays and when we attend the temple!

Kat Clark said...

I am so glad you have a break from this treatment. I hope you have a wonderful time in California. Maybe you will get to put your feet in the ocean, that is sure to make you feel wonderful!!!

Diane said...

You are amazing. The faith that you have is so strong. The count down continues with only three more treatments! I hope each day you are feeling better. Have a great time in California. You keep smiling and we will all keep praying!

Jess Mangum said...

HI KAREN! its jessica mangum (evans) i LOVE to read your blog when you up date it! i think everything is so interesting and I love to see how great you look and how well your doing! stay strong and your in my prayers!
-Jessica.. jmmangumfam.blogspot.com

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

How fun that Crystal and Heather and their kids, along with Tara and the boys, are here to entertain you! I think family is for sure the best distraction. What an example you are to constantly be turning to the Lord for guidance and comfort. It goes to show you can never rely on Him too much! Hope you get feeling better and that the anxiety can go away. You're constantly in our prayers!

Whitney and Chris said...

5 of 8!! You're more than half way done. Hooray! I know the end probably seems far away, but just think, by this time next year, you'll be all better with your own cute hair and all! I know that probably doesn't help at the moment, it didn't make me fell too much better when my aunt told me that when I was in the midst of chemo, but now, looking back, she was so right! I just finished reading Lance Armstrong's book about his stuggle with cancer. In a way it was hard to read because it brought back a lot of memories that I have purposely forgotten about (the really yucky parts of chemo) but the way he viewed his experience was very similar to how I viewed mine. He truly sees his battle through cancer and chemo as a blessing, as do I and I'm sure you can or will too! I really believe that Heavenly Father knows those who are strong enough to handle this nasty stuff! You are one amazing lady and are such an inspiration to us all. Hang in there... it will be over soon!!

Heather B said...

Well you do have some cute grandkids, if i do say so myself. :) Sorry to hear it's gotten worse and not better, I need to call and hear more details. I love your longer wig by the way, I think it makes you look so young.

Rachel said...

Family makes life so worth it! And I have to tell you how beautiful you are! I've always thought you were beautiful though. Looks like you get to experiment with some different hair dos too. You're such a strong person and on the days you're not feeling so strong, you've got lots of family and friends to draw strength from. Keep it up Karen...I'm glad you've only got three more treatments!

westfam said...

We went to lunch on Monday and wished you were with us. We won't be happy until you are back to good health. I'm praying that the new drug does the trick. Have a great time in California. Be sure to dance at your brothers wedding!
Love ya!

Laurie said...

You are INCREDIBLE Karen!! What beautiful pictures....you are such a great example to all of us....who knows what we will have to go through in the next few years...you are a great example for us to follow. Have fun at your brother's wedding...way to go girl...seriously, you are one STRONG gal!!! We love you and pray for you daily!!!

Anonymous said...

Karen, you are such an inspiration to me and Jack. Your faith and bright outlook is amazing. I'm glad you got to visit with Brian, Shirley and Trish. We are so looking forward to seeing you at Pat's wedding. You are own our minds often and we keep you in our prayers. You are blessed to have so many family and friends pulling for you. All our love, Vickie & Jack

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
Congrats on #5! I'm so proud of you and happy that you get to go to your brother's wedding. I admire your great faith because whatever we ask, which is right, believing that we shall recieve, it shall be given (3 Nep 18:20).
I love this little poem on faith. If you know who the author of it is please let me know.

STEPPING STONES
There I was,
Hopscotching on the rocks
In the turbulent stream
Until suddenly
There weren't any more,
And I stood forlorn,
Feeling stranded.

In stillness He assured,
Be patient.
When it is time
For the next step,
There will be a stone.
Hasn't it always
Been so?

I love you.
Monique

Anonymous said...

Hey, Karen,
I can't believe how brave you are!!! You are an inspiration to everyone!!! We can all learn from you and your experience! Your pictures are soooo cute!!! Who knew that you could create a blog, and have it be so darling!!!
I don't know if you got my text, but we are coming down on Sat, July 19. Heidi's open house is in Enterprise that night. We are going Monday night to Tuachn to see my student in the Sound of Music. I'm hoping to get to the temple Monday a.m. or Tuesday a.m. before we leave. I'm hoping to have some girl baptisms done, and maybe you can come do initiatory with me if you are up to it!
I sent you pics of my nephew's sealing day! What an event!!! McKay was endowed Sat, June 14, in Provo. Merrill Bateman (former BYU pres and emiritus GA), is the temple pres. He instructed McKay. It was exactly 5 years to the day that my dad died. Hopefully, my dad's endowment will be done the day Heidi is endowed! When my dad died, I thought 5 years from now, McKay would be in prison or dead. What a turn around!!!
Well, take care. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Ann

Anonymous said...

Hey, Karen,
I can't believe how brave you are!!! You are an inspiration to everyone!!! We can all learn from you and your experience! Your pictures are soooo cute!!! Who knew that you could create a blog, and have it be so darling!!!
I don't know if you got my text, but we are coming down on Sat, July 19. Heidi's open house is in Enterprise that night. We are going Monday night to Tuachn to see my student in the Sound of Music. I'm hoping to get to the temple Monday a.m. or Tuesday a.m. before we leave. I'm hoping to have some girl baptisms done, and maybe you can come do initiatory with me if you are up to it!
I sent you pics of my nephew's sealing day! What an event!!! McKay was endowed Sat, June 14, in Provo. Merrill Bateman (former BYU pres and emiritus GA), is the temple pres. He instructed McKay. It was exactly 5 years to the day that my dad died. Hopefully, my dad's endowment will be done the day Heidi is endowed! When my dad died, I thought 5 years from now, McKay would be in prison or dead. What a turn around!!!
Well, take care. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Ann

Anonymous said...

OOPS,
I HIT THE BUTTON TWICE.
I GUESS I'M NOT TOO TECHNO SAVY!