Thursday, June 5, 2008

Change of Plans

I will not have my regularly scheduled treatment tomorrow for several reasons. The Dr. wants me to be stronger. I had a little bit of a rough week. I could never quite kick the nausea, and then severe diarrhea hit, and I became dehydrated. I also got a bronchial infection that needed to be treated with antibiotics. I spent 2 days in the Doc's office getting IV fluids, and all kinds of medicine to help me. I do feel better, but not as good as I have in the past. They are going to start a new drug on me next Friday, and only give it to me every 3 weeks. The nurses said this was the plan all along , I just didn't understand it. The first 4 treatments were a mixture of adriamycin and cytoxon, and the 2nd set of 4 treatments is supposed to be taxotere. They supposedly mop up each other's messes in case anything is missed. The results are great. I will however take a little longer getting through all the treatments, but at this point, I am trusting that this is exactly what I need. I am looking forward to next week feeling better, and then I will be asking for prayers again to help me tolerate this new drug 'Taxotere'. Thank you for your help. You are making a big difference in my life right now. Love, Karen

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all here for you Karen. !

Jill Emett said...

I am so sorry you have had such a bad week. I hope that you start feeling better soon. Love ya

Allred Family said...

I hope things are starting to go better for you. I have been thinking about you all week since I saw you last. I will let you know how my surgery goes on Monday. For now, I am off camping! Love you.Paige

Heather B said...

Oh wow, every three weeks instead of two? I didn't know that! And a bronchial infection too, yuck! We'll pray extra hard for you, hope you feel MUCH better this week. Love you.

Anonymous said...

Karen,
So sorry to hear about your bronchial infection setback. I put your name in the temple last night (June 5th). I'm hoping and praying that you handle the Taxotere okay too. Your blog is great. I love seeing the pictures of your precious family and reading your very inspirtional stories!
Love you, Monique

Anonymous said...

Karen,
I forgot to mention President Hinckley's talk in the May 2001 Ensign. (If you get a chance, look it up. It's really incredible). He reminds us to never forget why we came to earth. He says the Lord did not send us here to fail, and that He gives us purposeful experiences that will lead us to eternal life. Of course there will be problems along the way he says, but the problems will not last forever, and God will NEVER forsake us. Pres. Hinckley also reminds us to look to the positve and remember that God hears and answers prayers (you are living proof of that Karen)and finally, he assures us that God loves us and will make that love manifest!
This talk was a great comfort to me, and I hope it is for you too.
Love you, Monique

Anonymous said...

Wow....I'm impressed you know the names.....I remember looking at the brochers, freaking about the side effects and then getting really tired! I hope your "cocktail" will work better for you! You're doing great!

Laurie said...

Karen, so sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. Hopefully, you will be able to handle the new medication. I too put your name in the Temple on Friday....I suppose that it is in numerous times each week!!! You are loved!! Your attitude is incredible and I know that makes such a difference in your recovery!!
Love you ,
Laurie

Megan said...

My Mom (Marilynn) showed me your blog while she was here visiting! I just wanted you to know that you'll be in my prayers up here in Washington. And if you're really bored while laying around you can check my blog too! I wish I was down in SG again. The weather here this spring has been too cold.