Monday, June 30, 2008

Some sunshiney days, some cloudy days

Yay, I made it to the wedding in Temecula, CA! This is a picture of my sister, Colleen, my brothers, Jack, Daryl, Pat and Tom, and me.



The groom is the one with white pants, black shirt and no beard. He is about 45 and never been married, but this girl he got was well worth waiting for. I had the best time that I could possibly have under the circumstances. When we first realized I would be in the middle of chemo at the time of their wedding, no one thought I could even go. What a blessing it all was. I even got out on the dance floor with my siblings and danced once. It felt great. I did continue to fight anxiety all weekend, but looking back on all of it, it was a great weekend.


We even made it to see the new Newport Beach temple.


It's July 1st and this is one summer I am thankful to see go by quickly. I haven't felt good enough to do a post for over a week, Thank you Krystal for doing one for me.

I told you before that I had a saying on my kitchen wall that says, "Flowers that follow the sun(sunflowers for one), do so even on cloudy days" I felt like this was the perfect saying for me because I truly try to follow the "SON" of God every day, but I knew it was going to get harder as the chemo treatments progressed. It has happened. I am struggling. I still have no doubt about who I am following, but I have had a few meltdowns lately. One pretty severe one a week ago, where there were many tears.That was probably the day Krystal wrote about how chemo sucks. I had really no good reason to cry except I felt like it. There are a lot of things to be afraid about right now, but there is so much to be happy about too. The doctor said it is nothing I am doing (e.g. negative thinking), it's just the accumulation of chemo drugs, they go through your whole system, including your brain. My body has been without chemo now for 2 weeks and feels pretty good, but my mind and heart have caused a knot in my stomach that is almost unbearable. When I think about it now, crying does make me feel better, especially when everyone around me is so positive while I am crying. Between treatment 4 and 5, I could see myself slipping on a downward slope, but felt helpless to do anything about it. For now, the best I can do is endure it, one HOUR at a time. I plead for relief and I get it from time to time, but it won't stay gone. I know the Lord is a merciful God, as Jeffrey Holland put it, "He's not trying to tag us out on third base, MERCY is His mission" If we are parents, we can already see how true that can be, but yet we let our children experience a little bit of pain because we see that they learn from it.

The doctor today said that from all the tests we have, I am in remission, that's everything to be grateful for. He is working on changing medications for me to see if they can help me with the anxiety. They changed my chemo dates now, so I will go on Monday, July 7th (that should help me get through the holiday), and then he wants me in the office everyday that week to check on my weight, and my hydration (I have lost 16 pounds now), and my mental state. I, most likely will stay and get fluids and medicine every day that week. The nurse said that chemo has to be tolerable or we don't do it. I love these nurses at the clinic that help me, I know they really want to help me feel better. What a blessing they are to me.

I am not giving up, I am still a fighter, but I am weary, I pray "this too will pass".

I always want to thank you for your love, and encouragement, it really is making a difference, but I knew I couldn't expect to be "UP" all the time, it's not realistic. Don't be afraid of coming to see me, I need you right now, but be very afraid of the way the house looks, it's not in good shape, but I am learning that is the LEAST of my worries.




12 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh Karen.....it is so hard to read that you are going through such a hard time. I'm sure that it was expected at some point, but you are such a strong person, with such great faith I know you will perservere. We read and read that it is through our trials and tribulations that we become strong...but at some point I'm sure you are saying "enough already"....you are incredible Karen, really to do all that you are doing!!! So glad you were able to go to your brother's wedding! Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you....and yes...this too shall pass....let's just hurry it up :)!!
Love you,
Laurie

Anonymous said...

You sweet sweet woman. I have two things to give you....1) D&C 121:9 and 2)I'm sending Heather to forward to you a talk that was given to us when Sam was born and in the hospital. I re-read it when Jason was diagnosed and never looked back. I actually made a wall hanging with the words from this talk. Anything to assist...right?! And never be ashamed...you just cry!

brit said...

It was so great to see you the other night. Your strength at admitting that you don't feel wonderful was refreshing. As always, I continue to learn from you SO MUCH! (LADIES....do your visiting teaching. Doing mine brought me the WONDERFUL blessing of being this womans friend....it truly is a blessing!!!!!!)

Unknown said...

Jaxan and I came by last night Jul 2 She wanted to see Karen...No one was home.

She will say " Karen sick she needs a band-aid"

We will try to see you this weekend.

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Karen I am so glad you that you made it to the wedding in Cali! I know how much you wanted it. I'm so sorry that you have been down, but know that many people are thinking and praying for you. It is also so good to hear that you are in remission. I don't know a lot about the process of cancer, but I know that is good!! hehe :) Keep us updated on your visits next week and I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers!

Jessica said...

Hi- this is Jessica (Jensen) Dahlquist. I graduated with Tara. I cried when I came across your blog because I feel such sympathy for what you are going through. I am amazed at the strength that comes through your posts, even when you talk about bad days. You are doing it- and you will make it.
I remember when you watched me after my mom's back surgeries, and how you would do my sister's and my hair. I remember seeing your bright smile as I was growing up. I am sorry you are going through chemo and the pain and suffering it is causing, but I want you to know I believe in you and that you will make it. I know that although some days the hours go too slowly, but our time of trial is for a short time only and then you will be rewarded for your diligence and faith. Thank you for being an inspiration.

Rebecca said...

It's been interesting, fun and sad reading your blog. I always remember you as being such a happy, uplifting person who made me laugh and feel welcome in your home. I'm sorry you've had some "cloudy days"and pray that you will have more "sunshiney days." Good luck with the chemo tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Karen, I have a hard time hearing about your struggle. But I know tha this too shall pass. You are amazing, and it is okay to cry when you need it! I will stop by after girls camp. It has been crazy for us as I am sure it has been for you... We love you and are constantly thinking about you.

Anonymous said...

Karen I've been trying to call to check in on you. I'll try again today. I want to know if you want me to help do anything for Dale's birthday. I can do a cake or come clean or even do dinner.

Andrea said...

Karen, I've been out of town sooo much lately that I haven't had a chance to check your blog for awhile. Once again, I have to tell you that you are AMAZING!!!! You give me strength everytime I read your blog. I hope that this passes quickly! You are continually in our thoughts and prayers. We love you so much! Have a fabulous day, and we will come visit soon!

Kristine said...

This is the first time I have read your blog and it is very inspirational! My married kids all have blogs, so I made a blog, and decided to enter the "blogging world". Iona gave me your blog address. I will check it often to see how you are doing. You are in my prayers.

Brad and Genis Barben said...

Karen,
This is our first time seeing your blog, it was amazing. I am at my mom's house and we wanted you to know that you have been in our prayers from the day we found out. I get updates from Heather on how you are doing. We just want you to know that we love you and you are in our thoughts and prayers. You are such a strong person and you have raised some very strong and beautiful children. Love you,
Genis and TeRia