Sunday, August 3, 2008

Chemo #7

actually this picture is from a couple weeks ago. We were on top of the houseboat, and my 18 yr old son had just had his wisdom teeth out, and his pain pills made him feel like dancing, which got everyone in on the act. FUN times. (once in a lifetime picture)

This is my oldest grandson, Damon. He has come with me twice to chemotherapy, I'm not sure why he wants to, but he brought his coloring stuff and sat at a table for most of the 2 hrs I was there. In this picture, I am actually just getting IV treatments of fluid and medicine to help curb the chemo effects. Damon is 6 and he prays daily for help with my chemotherapy, maybe he's proud that he knows a word that no one else his age does. this is Kalia, she is Heathers only little girl, 11mos old, until Nov when another little girl will arrive. Just like all little kids, she loves the phone, and it has to be a REAL phone too!


This is a typical afternoon at my house when all the kids are there, and this week, after treatment #7, I had Krystal and her family, Heather and her family, and Tara and her family here. We just all pile on my bed, but I got to hold baby Kenya!!

this is Kyla (Yeah, there's 3 of them, Kyla, Kalia and Kenya) she is Krystal's 3rd child, and just as true to the telephone as these kids are, they want the REAL remote too1
This is my best friend from high school, and after 30 years she still loves me and came up from vegas to spend the day with me. I do NOT deserve this much love, but I am the luckiest girl in the world to have so many people care about me
Now, to bring you up to date on the chemos. It's almost impossible for me to believe that I have done SEVEN treatments. The original number was 8, and the Dr hasn't said any reason to change that, so on Aug 18th, I will have my last chemo treatment and approximately 3 weeks later, I will start radiation, and do that M-F for 6 weeks. I am going to ask if they can just radiate my whole body, that should keep it from coming back, dont ya think?
I don't know how often we will be checking lab work and pet scans, but I will be bugging them to do them every other day. j/k There has truly been a miracle with these last two treatments. The Dr has given me these IV fluids that are keeping me from being nauseated. He put me on meds that are controlling the anxiety, and so now I just feel like a lazy bum around the house trying to think positive thoughts. I still don't have enough ambition to clean out closets or anything, we'll save that for spring cleaning or something. The ONLY thing I can complain about right now is my meltdowns. They still happen every 3 or 4 days, but I think I figured it out. It's because I don't have any estrogen anymore. They've taken that all away, then you take away my energy and my normal everyday life, and who wouldn't cry?? I always feel better after a good cry, but please don't take it personal if you find me in one of these heaps on the floor. I think it came with the package deal, and I want to finish what I have started!! And I feel the Holy Ghost has told me that this "Karen" isn't permanent, I am going to be the better version when I get out of this refiner's fire.




9 comments:

J-Lo said...

I'm not sure whole-body radiation is the best idea, but see if you can talk them into it:) You look great...and so does Krystal:)

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Congrats on only having one treatment left! That is awesome! All the kids are so dang cute!

westfam said...

Hurray! Only one left! We'll be praying for you. The dance with Johnny is precious, hold onto that moment. I love all the 'K' names. In our family it is 'A'--Abbey, Adde, Anna, Alexa--funny how that goes!
Love ya, Karen--keep hanging in there!

Allred Family said...

Karen Karen! I am so happy for you. I think we are all entitled to meltdowns. You are a little more qualified than most. I am truly sad I won't get to be with you on your last chemo. I still want to have a party for you though....or should we wait until after radiation. You will have to let me know how you do with radiation; better, worse...
I miss you a lot and send all my love!
Paige

Laurie said...

Karen, I e-mailed you the other day and must have used an old e-mail it came back :(....Jeff felt so bad the other night at the temple that he didn't realize it was you needing a partner in the prayer circle. He said he had thought of it earlier, but from the back he thought your hair looked darker...men aren't too observant :(...I was trying to give him the stare down, but he wasn't looking...anyway, the first thing he said when he saw me was....oh I feel bad!! Anyway, great to see you !! Sorry we didn't get to chat. I need to come and visit. Can't wait for you to be done with your chemo...wow, what a milestone!!Love the picture of your darling grandkids and kids...they love their grammy!! Our prayers are always with you....love you...laurie

Anonymous said...

How neat that your grandkids are so involved in this whole process. I can see that they really love their grandma. That is so awesome. Only one treatment left...go get 'em! You are doing great, good luck!

Kristen said...

(Shannon's sister)

Karen, what a wonderful job you're doing of coping with this. I love your last line: This Karen isn't permanent. I think that applies to each of us, hopefully, as we try each day to live more like Christ.

Ann Mitchell said...

I don't know which will be more exciting for you on the 18th---your last chemo, or my first day of school!
Ann

Mel said...

Hi! I am one of Heather's friends from Hawaii. I sneak a peak at your blog quite often and I think you are amazing! Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us.