Wednesday, July 23, 2008

You went WHERE?

Believe it or not, I made it out to Lake Powell, chemotherapy, Anxiety and all!!

My family convinced me that it would be relaxing to come out on the houseboat that we have a 1 week share on. I cannot tell you how scared I was to think that I might get out there and freak out over something, anything, what if it was too hot, or what if it was too bumpy and I would feel nauseated, or what if there wasn't any food out there that I could eat, or what if I just needed to come home?? The fears seem ridiculous now, but they weren't the day before I went. I had a downright good old panic attack.



BUT, with a LOT of prayer,Not just mine, but all of you guys praying for me too, I decided it would be good for me to be with my family, brothers, sister, and their kids, and just lay around in the cool water. And you know what?? No one would let me cook or clean or do any work at all, and I think I had one of my most relaxing trips to Lake Powell ever. The food even tasted good to me. The days were around 85 -90 degrees and the nights were wonderful, and I truly did enjoy it. I am calling it a MIRACLE! (By the way , my sister's the one with the hair :)

Just to be sure I didn't get too much sun, Dale brought me home on the 3rd day, but it turned out to be just right. I have been feeling better ever since.

It has been over 2 weeks since I have had a chemo treatment, and so next Monday will be LUCKY #7 (Remember the Dr. said I would have 8 treatments, so I am getting excited to be getting near the end).
the last treatment I had, we found that if I went into the office everyday for fluid and IV meds, I did MUCH better. They say this stuff accumulates in your system, so each one SHOULD get worse. (OK, So I am normal) So, here it is Wednesday, July 23rd, and I almost feel like a normal person. It sounds silly, but I can't tell you how much HOPE that gives me, that someday I will feel like myself again.

Since I felt so good yesterday, I went to my favorite place to feel peace. The temple. I didn't know how much time I could physically endure, but it ended up so peaceful, I stayed for several hours. When I got home last night, I felt peace, the peace I beg for, and plead for. If you have ever experienced severe anxiety, you know what I am talking about, if you haven't, drop to your knees right now and give thanks!!! It is indescribable.
I could not have come this far without your love and support, I don't know how ANYONE could go through this alone. My testimony is being strengthened daily as I learn new things that Heavenly Father is bringing to my ATTENTION, possibly things I wouldn't have learned any other way. Thank you for your love, talk to you next week, PS I still like visitors :)

10 comments:

Heather B said...

That is so great that you got to go to the temple for a few hours!! Lets go again next week too! I am glad you're feeling "almost normal" and you're almost done...just a few more weeks. Love you lots .

Morgan said...

Hey Karen, I am so glad to have read this post and read you had such a great time! I think about you a lot and am glad that you are almost done also.

Anonymous said...

Good job girlie! Overcoming anxiety on any level is soo hard! what a blessing to go with your family! You're doing awesome!!!!

westfam said...

Karen,
I'm so glad you had a nice, relaxing trip to Lake Powell. Remember all of our fun trips thanks to the Princes! You and Dale were always riding off into the sunset together--are we getting older???
Good luck with number 8!
You're almost done!!!

Lori said...

Karen;
It does my heart good to hear your thoughts,(I remember so well)and I'm so impressed by your strength and the support your family is.I don't know how anyone gets through this without family, friends and most important the Lord. I'm so happy that my daughter Beth found your blog. I'm sorry that I haven't taken time to come and visit, but trust me you will feel back to your old self soon. 3 cheers for Karen from The Eckmans.

Laurie said...

Karen,
So glad you were able to enjoy a trip to Lake Powell....you are really a trouper!!! Almost done...I'm so thrilled for you....you are almost there!! Love you so much and pray for you daily!!

Anonymous said...

Karen, I am so glad that you got to enjoy Lake Powell for a few days. It sounds like we were there at the same time. I think that place would cheer anyone up. Good luck on your last few weeks. You have been such an inspiration to me. Go get 'em!

Lisa said...

Karen,
I am so glad that you had a fun time in Lake Powell. You look great, basking in the sun, I'm sure it felt good to you as well. I am proud of you for going. You just keep on going girl!! AMAZING!
Good luck with #8.. you are almost there!!
Robert and I went to the temple last night and I put your name in.
Love you, and think and pray for you daily.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I was just reading Susan Tanner's talk in the May conference Ensign (p.81) and was so touched by her words as I thought about you. She said she weeps knowing that Abraham did not know there would be an angel and a ram in the thicket at the end of his journey.
Nevertheless, the miracle came. Susan reminds us that miracles come for us too....in HIS way and on HIS timetable....and sometimes not until we've reached our extremity. This knowledge may be discouraging for some, but for people like us who know and love God, it acutually brings great hope. I know there is a miracle for you in this trial. I love you.
Love, Monique

J-Lo said...

I'm glad your lake retreat was just what the doctor ordered. Best wishes with this next dose.