Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Last Chemo treatment has been completed...WOW

Well, here it is, chemo #8, it's absolutely amazing that I have made it through 8 chemotherapy treatments. Now, I'll give myself about 3 weeks to get over all of this, especially since the doctors and nurses keep insisting that each chemo gets more lethal, just because of the cumulative effect. The last 2 treatments have been quite easy ones with all the extra fluids they have been giving me, but this one hasn't been quite as easy, probably to be expected. Especially since so many of you fasted that this would be the final "kick off" to all remaining cancer cells. Words cannot express to you how much it means to me that you would fast and pray for me.

This is my friend Paige Allred, we wanted to have our last chemo together. She was struggling with some bad side effects, so they split her last 2 chemos into 4, making them half strength, so she will still go in 2 more times, and I am going to show up just to keep her company. She really encourages me so much. Tara brought little Kenya, (Now 6 wks old) in to see me too. I was so happy that it was my last day of treatment that I made a big batch of cinnamon rolls, and Paige made homemade cheese ball and chips and salsa. We tried to make it a party, but neither of us had much of an appetite, but it was the spirit of the party that was important! Please pray for Paige too, she has 3 little ones under 6, and has kept going regardless of 3 surgeries, and all these chemos. She's 28 yrs old and has a great attitude.

I wanted you to see two of my ANGEL nurses that have truly nurtured me through all this. I have missed my mom more than I ever imagined, and there were times when these nurses would rub my shoulders and give me hugs and listen to me cry, and give me encouragement all the time. This first one is Beth, and the 2nd one is Julia. I truly felt that they loved me, and there were other nurses every bit as helpful that I didn't get pictures of, but the Lord is with these people who are in the service of those in need, and I am SO grateful. It has changed my life forever, (I hope and pray this compassion stays with me)

The next step is to have a minor surgery next week to have my PORT out, it is where all the meds and fluids have gone in , but apparently it is in the way of where the radiation needs to go, so after a couple weeks of recovery, I will start radiation, with Dr. Richards, and he says I will be tired and sunburned feeling, but not near as bad as the chemo. I figure that puts me finished with treatments around Halloween.

I have discovered things about myself that I don't know if I would have ever realized had I not gone through this. When you are asking the Savior to heal you, it makes you wonder if you have pleased him or not over the years, and what can you do to be more like him, after all, he says, "Come Follow Me". I think I have made it too hard over the years for myself and ALL He wants is my heart, everything else is already his. I can now commit to give him all of my heart, and TRY to live like him, maybe sometimes fail, then TRY again, and never give up. My first big project is to read everything I can about HIM. Heavenly Father knows this is a sacrifice for me, but He is helping me to make it easier.

14 comments:

J-Lo said...

#8...you go, girl!

Anonymous said...

Amazing how once we give Him out hearts everything else just falls into place. When I fasted for you I specifically asked that you would realize all the lessons that you had learned along the way and so your post today had special meaning for me. I'm so proud of you for how you have handled this and I'm especially happy for you to be done.

Diane said...

Yeah! I am so excited for you to be done with the chemo. You have been through a lot and have come through the process even better than you were before. We have all learned from this experience. You will continue to be in our prayers and our love and concern will always be coming your way. Love you!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

How amazing that you made it through all #8 of them with such an awesome outlook. I read your posts and realize how much I could always be improving on my attitude and outlook. Thank you so much for all your inspiration and example! Good luck with the surgery and radiation!

Allred Family said...

What a beautiful blog. I loved this one. Thank you for leaving such a wonderful comment on mine. Again, tell the Bizzy family thank you, thank you. This has been a great experience and even better since I have gotten to know you. I hope you are getting some rest. When is your surgery scheduled?
all my love,
Paige

Allred Family said...

What a beautiful blog. I loved this one. Thank you for leaving such a wonderful comment on mine. Again, tell the Bizzy family thank you, thank you. This has been a great experience and even better since I have gotten to know you. I hope you are getting some rest. When is your surgery scheduled?
all my love,
Paige

Vera said...

Karen, to know you is to love you. You are amazing and so full of spiritual strength. My prayers are with you and with your cute friend Paige. Vera (Britney Jones mom)

Anonymous said...

Karen,
It was a privilege and honor to fast for you. Congratulations on being done!
Love you
Monique

Lisa said...

So so glad that you are finished with the cemo!! Once again you are such a inspiration to so many. We will keep you in our prayers and keep putting your name in the temple, (did tonight). You are always in my thoughts and prayers. You are amazing and have grown so much... but we have all grown with you, as we have watched you deal with this in such a positive way, never wavering in faith. Thanks Karen for sharing yourself with us. Much love to you, Lisa

westfam said...

Hurray--no more chemo! I know you truly are Karen the Kancer Killer.
I read something by Neal Maxwell--"sometimes the best people..have the worst experiences..because they are the most ready to learn." "If we are serious about discipleship, Jesus will eventually request each of us to do those very things which are most difficult for us to do."
Food for thought---love you!

Kristine said...

It was good to catch up on your blog! You have been in my thoughts a lot and definitely in my prayers. I was in the temple Friday and put your name on the prayer roll. If you feel like it at all hope you can come to Club and fill us all in. Thanks!

Whitney and Chris said...

Hooray, Hooray, Hooray!! I am so glad you are done with chemo! It's such a wonderful feeling to know that all those yucky meds are almost all out of your system. It's amazing how fast your body will bounce back, not to mention your hair! And... I love, love, love Dr. Richards! He is one of my favorite people! I honestly enjoyed my time in radiation becuase Dr. Richards and his staff are so great! You'll have to tell Stephanie, Joe, Blair and Dr. Richards hello for me! You will love them!

Laurie said...

Karen, have been thinking about you all week. So happy that the last Chemo is done!!! Ditto to everything that has been said in the above comments. You are and have been a true inspiration to everyone...I think that I take life for granted sometimes and it is experiences like this that I see people go through that makes me realize how fragile it is. You are an amazing person and will continue to do some much good in this world. We are all blessed by being your friend. Love you,
Laurie

Larzipan said...

Karen, this is Laura Callahan (monique's favorite daugher-in-law) and she told me that you wanted to know how to print out your blog into a book! Great blog first of all, it will make a terrific book! I just used scrapbookblogger.com, it seemed to be the easiest to use, no software to download, and it was the cheapest I found (about $30 for 75 pages). You create an account with a password and then it can upload your blog directly from blogger and it seperates every entry onto seperate pages for you. I hope that helps... good luck and congratulations on killing cancer!