Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Opposition in All Things", especially CANCER

We know that life is full of opposition, and it is supposed to be that way. Sometimes we wonder why, but after some serious thought, we know that all the negatives in our lives make our good times SO much better. Well, cancer is no exception. I expected to be sick 24/7 because I saw the hell my mother went through. I was overwhelmed with gratitude when it wasn't that way for me. Knowing the opposite was possible made my experience all the sweeter. (Oh how time sweetens my memory)


I want to tell you a story about a dear friend. This picture was taken about 7 or 8 years ago. We call this group "Club". It started out to be a group of young moms needing to get out once a month and eat and visit and we were going to play "ROOK" originally. It is now 25 years later, and we have played Rook twice. What we have done is for another post.
From left to right starting at the back is Kristine Gardner, Darla Lyman, Shauna Stout (now Oliver), Elizabeth Adams, Iona Syphus, and Lori Hafen.
Front row is Kim Esplin, Karen Esplin, Sheri Feller, and Brenda Graff.

This story is about Kristine.
About 7 years ago, she was diagnosed with Leukemia. We were all frightened. She was put on a drug that miraculously sent her into remission. She still takes that pill everyday. Well, last December, right about the time I was ending my treatments, she found a lump in her neck. It turned out to be cancer in the lymph nodes, which was actually a symptom of lung cancer. She was given 4 months to live if she did not do any treatments. She has 2 sons still at home, a 12 yr old, and a 16 yr old, and one son on a mission. Then she has four married kids. She wasn't ready to check out of this life, so of course she chose to fight. This picture is all of us again on December 12, 2008. She had received the diagnosis the day before and we called an "emergency" meeting of club to give support. I am the one on the front row, very different looking from the last picture. I was COMPLETELY different on the inside than I was before too. We all got there before Kristine did, and I broke down and bawled. I didn't think I was going to pull it together, but miraculously I did. Kristine is the 2nd one from the left on the back row. It's hard to tell here, but there were a lot of red noses from all of our sniffling. No major bawling like before she got there.
She started chemo right before Christmas and had it as often as they could give it to her, generally every 3 weeks, but she got so deathly sick, and was hospitalized almost more than she was at home. At one point she was in intensive care barely hanging on to life. Her husband heard her talking to a deceased Aunt. She only remembers telling Heavenly Father that she felt she was going to die, and for him to go ahead and take her. Well, He didn't and she returned to somewhat better health some time later. She had to be fed through a tube due to so many complications.
When she went for her PET scan in the summer, I was POSITIVE she would have a partial remission if not a full one.

I was wrong, The cancer had spread to both lungs now, and had spread to the bones in the spinal cord, and to her adrenal gland. Not good news. I was devastated. I really thought the chemo mixed with the leukemia drug was going to be a miraculous cure for lung cancer. The Dr. was not very encouraging as to what to do next. She insisted on trying something else.
Here we are in August 2 months ago, only 7 of us could make it that day, but Kristine is the 3rd one from the left. She was trying the new chemo that the Dr. somewhat reluctantly was trying. She was feeling more energy than ever, less sickness than ever, and doc told her that her hair would start to grow back (wig in this pic), I was suspicious that he was giving her a placebo or something. Back to the title of my post, "Opposition in All Things, ...............WHAT Do you think happened?
Doctor decided to do only 3 treatments and then a PET scan to see if it was doing any good.
The news was good. The cancer in the spinal cord and the adrenal gland had come to a screeching halt.!! hurray, but the best part of all is that they could no longer find any cancer in the lungs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was screaming on the phone, jumping up and down,,,,,,,,,yelling "IT"S A MIRACLE", It really is. She started more of the same chemo the very next day, and I will keep you updated, but this could be the magical medicine. He said it is a drug they give to patients with asbestos, but sometimes lung cancer patients respond to it.





Speaking of opposition, I will leave you with a little Halloween photo from Halloween last year 2008, I actually wanted to delete this sick photo of me trying to be a pumpkin with my fuzz starting to grow back, but then decided it would actually make me look better this year





Hey, I actually LIKE this opposition thing sometimes!! It certainly has helped me to appreciate anything positive that is happening to me this year. ESPECIALLY my hair, even though it is practically a "FRO", I am HAPPY to have it.
The curl is not a perm, but I think they put something special in my chemo to make it come back this way
This is September 17th, the night of the rodeo, hence the bandana, but woo hoo for the hair, and Yahoo for "Opposition in All Things"


Love to you all,
Remember, "Someone somewhere has survived every cancer there is" There is always HOPE!
Love, Karen the Kancer Killer

7 comments:

Ann Mitchell said...

WOW!!! What a story!!! Everyone has problems. I just dealt with a step mother who is going through a divorce. She is only 23, and was pregnant at 14. The boy in my class was 1 when she married his father. She is the only mother he knows. When she told me there was domestic violence...it's as if the Lord's spirit took over, telling her everything He wanted her to hear! Anyway, they moved...and he had to go with the father...cuz she has no parental rights. Hopefully, the Lord will bless them. (I told her to call the cops...she said she has no physical signs now, and he beat the 1st wife. I told her he'll do it to the next one...once a beater, always a beater!)
LIFE IS A TEST...BUT WE CANNOT PASS THE TEST WITHOUT FIRST LEARNING THE LESSONS!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing her story with us. What a fighter! You both have so much to offer the people around you. You look absolutely beautiful. And I pray for you and your friend that you will keep the faith and keep the rest of us going. Thank you!`

Heather B said...

WOW. My jaw hit the ground when I read that last bit of good (GREAT! INCREDIBLE!) news. I had not heard anything since the 2nd pet scan that hadn't turned out very well. I am sooo thrilled for her. You are so right about opposition in all things. That pumpkin hair picture is awesome and kinda funny but your new head of curly hair is gorgeous. You better grow it out long (like when you were 20/30/40) just for fun.
:)
Love ya!

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

I had been saving this post until I actually had a quite moment to read! What an amazing MIRACLE! Your title is so true and the hardest part is knowing that there is good to come out of all bad. It's too easy to give up or feel bad for yourself. What an amazing story! Thanks for sharing!

Vera said...

You are adorable and so encouraging....

Elisa said...

Karen, I'm not sure if you know me, I'm Kristen Cox Lotz's sister. I went to school with your girls and also with the Gardner boys. I hope Kristine is doing well with her treatments and I wish her the best. You both are amazing women and I hope if I'm ever in the same situation I can be as positive and awe inspiring as you ladies are. Thank you for sharing this story. My thoughts and prayers are with Kristine!

Eric Esplin said...

love the new kitchen by the way... :)