Monday, January 12, 2009

The Blog Book

Hi everyone, this is Heather. My mom asked me to answer some of your questions about the book I made her for Christmas. If you'd like to turn your blog into a book, you can check out BLURB.COM, which is the website I used. It has some software that you download to your computer (free of course) and then it will take your blog and "slurp" it into a book. It gives you the option to customize it (add pictures, change spelling, text, etc) and it also lets you choose what background colors and themes you want, how you want the pictures to lay out, etc. It wasn't hard at all, but it was a bit time consuming, mainly because it does NOT automatically take the comments from your blog (which are sometimes the best part!) I had to copy and paste them all in. (Which by the way, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! All those comments were just amazing and so uplifting. Thanks for being such wonderful friends to my mom. And don't worry, all spelling bloopers were corrected!!)

There are other websites that offer a similar thing, but this one worked the best for me, and I'd heard from other people that the books turn out great, and that proved to be true.

A few hints: If you use blogger and want BLURB to find your blog, it asks you to sign in. It asks for your username, but if you do not add "@gmail.com" at the end, it will tell you it can't do it. So make sure you put username@gmail.com.

Also, it gives you a warning about your pictures being "low resolution". I had several pictures come up saying that, but I could see in the preview that they looked okay. I went ahead and published the book anyway, and they looked fine. If you have sharper, higher resolution pictures on your computer, definitely use them, but if the blog pictures are all you've got, use them. If they are blurry in the preview, they will be blurry in the final published book as well, so just keep that in mind as you choose pictures.

If you have any other questions or need any help, feel free to e-mail me at heatheresplin AT yahoo DOT com.

Finally, my mom is having surgery on her (torn) rotator cuff on Thursday of this week. We will do a post after that to let you know how it went.

5 comments:

The Leggs said...

Heather thanks so much! I was wondering . . . well all of that! Karen- our prayers will be with you as you go in for surgery. If you need anything please call!

Abby said...

heather.. when did you download the blurb softwear? it is not working for me anymore! ahh. I have the older version of the softwear and thats how i made my other books but now its not letting me..

Heather B said...

I downloaded it a long time ago, and then I finished the book on Dec 7th. It was right about that time I started getting popups telling me there was a blurb update (or a newer version or something) that I needed to install. I ignored it since I was already done. It says theres a way for you to keep working on your project in the new version-- so check to see if you can download the newer version or update or whatever...good luck!

Megan said...

I couldn't get it to work either. Maybe they don't make books from blogger anymore. My only options I was given were typepad or jounrnal blogs. Guess I'll look for some other blog book website. Thanks for the inspiration though.

Heather B said...

You're right you guys. It looks like they din't do blogger anymore. I can't believe it! what a bummer.