Friday, October 17, 2008

THINGS I HAVE LEARNED

LIFE IS PRECIOUS

I have learned many things in the last 7 months and the first one is: Life is precious, everyone's life. I have come to love many songs that seem to say just what I am feeling, but I had Tara record this one. It is called "YOU GIVE" I was just going to put the words to the song, but then I realized if you could hear it, it might be even better. You might be able to relate to it, even if you haven't been through exactly what I have, you have been through "LIFE", and probably a few bumps, big and small, and we can all relate to that. This is going to be the beginning of "THE LIST OF WHAT I HAVE LEARNED". As I have gone through this experience, I have known all along that I was supposed to be learning something from it. One thing about breast cancer is, it doesn't take your life away overnight, like some tragedies do, thus there must be lessons to be learned for both the patient and all of their loved ones, family and friends. Before I list what I have learned, I want you to read these words, then click on the "play" button and listen to Hilary Weeks sing this and see if you agree with it.



YOU GIVE



You give me sight when I can't see



You give me breath when I can't breathe



And You give me love and You give me peace



Amd You always seem to give just what I need



You take my doubt and replace it with truth



You take my fear so all I see is You



You take me as I am and You take me by the hand



You see to my soul and You take just what I need.



You give me strength and You give me life



You give me hope and You give me light



You take my pain and You take my shame



You bless me to see the give and take is just what I need



You give and take away and refine me day by day



As you lead me through the bitter and sweet



I am trusting you to make me complete



Though You see the heartache, you're sending your sweet grace



As You give.....................and You take



Please send Your perfect grace.......... as You give................. and You take.

So here's the list of the things I have learned in the year 2008, things that I probably would not have learned any other way.

1. Life is Precious

2. I need to RELY on the Holy Ghost continually.

3. Doubt not, fear not: faith and fear cannot exist at the same time.

4. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ are in charge

5. I need to improve my relationship with my Redeeemer, who understands exactly how I am feeling.

6. Grudges, bad feelings, and hurt feelings are USELESS to hold onto: Let them go

7. Anyone who seems unkind or unfriendly is experiencing a private pain or suffering of their own that we cannot see.

8. The Savior has shown me firsthand what mercy is: getting something benefecial that we haven't earned.

9. No way can I ever EARN my way into His kingdom, I will NOT be perfectly worthy in this life, but if I can become His partner, as he has invited me to be, I will qualify.

10. He wants me to take these feelings of love that I have for everyone and show mercy to all of God's children......because I NEVER know their whole story..... only HE does.

11. I am overcome with LOVE , such as I have never known. I am truly a blessed person, and I am VERY , VERY grateful to such loving angels around me , and angels unseen, and a Heavenly Father and a Savior that love me without end.

12. I know now that I will never waver again, I know that the Father and the Son live, and their mission is to mercifully bring us home better people than we were we left his presence.

13. One last thing comes to my mind tonight, I will NEVER be able to repay all of you for your kindnes and concern and love for me, so I want you to know this: I will "Pay it forward" at every opportunity I have.

14. I love everyone of you that has read my blog, and sent me such uplifting comments, I love everyone of you that has come to visit me, I love everyone of you that has sent me a card or called me on the phone. I want you to know that I want to be there for you if this situation ever arises in your life. I pray that it won't , but it might. My love is 4-ever, Love, Karen

(PS I will finish radiation on Wed. Oct 22nd, but it will be a month or so before I know anything about my condition. Thank you once again for your prayers, they have made a huge difference in me being able to handle all of this. Let us all remember to THANK HIM for answering our prayers.)

16 comments:

Heather B said...

That was awesome, it made me cry! I LOVE THAT SONG!

Diane said...

Dear, dear Karen, thank you for putting that together. I was so touched as I listened, saw your pictures and read your sweet words. The tears flow as I too have more tender feelings for you, our Heavenly Father and our Savior. We have all learned so much from this experience. Thank you, thank you!

brit said...

again, i just love you. thank you for sharing your experiences with us all. you are so amazing!!!!!

westfam said...

Beautiful, Karen, thanks for telling us what you have learned from your experience. It's amazing how much can be learned thru our trials.
Love you!

Anonymous said...

Karen,
The song was beautiful and your list of learned experiences was priceless. I copied them all and filed them. If I'm ever asked to give a talk on trials, adversity, suffering, mercy etc, can I have permission to quote you?
You're amazing!
Love you,
Monique

Laurie said...

How beautiful Karen!! I love the song, and the cute pictures...who drew the picture of you and the Savior? Love it!! We all know that it is through these adversities that we truly learn...you have weathered this trial with such love and compassion. What a beautiful family you have....love the pictures of you and your girls!!!
Thank you for helping us all to learn what is REALLY important in this life. love you !!
Laurie

the glendenning family said...

Karen,
Wow I'm speechless! you are amazing. I'm so glad that I found your blog.
Cancer is beatable my moms been close to 30 years! Keep up the good work, this to shall pass.
gretchen

Anonymous said...

You always amaze me with your faith. Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. I will always be grateful for your words of wisdom. Keep your chin up, and with the Lord all things are possible. You are beautiful! I love you Karen, keep up the good fight.

Ann Mitchell said...

WOW!!! Just reading what you have learned makes me want to get it in gear! Looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday. I'm glad you get to have a little change of scenery. I just hope President Monson will be at the Jazz game so you can at least see him! The last preseason game was the first time I saw him there in a suit. He usually wears an open collared shirt with a sweater.

Nate and Lyndsi Clements said...

You are inspirational!

Lauritzen Lovin' said...

Karen,
I just love you!!! I am so inspired by you and grateful that I came across your blog. You really are amazing. Thanks for sharing your faith and love with everyone and helping us remember why we are here. I love the song and needed to hear it today. The next time I'm home I would love to visit you! Keep up the faith and hope! You are stronger than you know.
Love,
Rachael Lauritzen (*Hoefelmann*)

Michelle said...

You are amazing Karen. I've been reading your blog off and on through your whole experience and have learned so much from you. Thanks for being an inspiration to me.

The Esplins said...

Although we don't see you very often, we want you to know you are always in our thoughts and prayers (even the kids' individual prayers). We all care about you and are so happy for progress you are making. It is good to hear you are doing well. Just returned home from Arizona and an 18 yr old boy in my parents' ward found out in August he has stage 4 cancer. You can check on him at caringbridge.org and type in lorinmerkley. He's an awesome boy who just graduated and was excited to get ready for his mission. I know you'd have empathy for him and his family. We love you.

Alli E. said...

Karen,

That song and slideshow were beautiful!! You make me want to be a better person!!

Love,
Allison E.

Elder Esplin said...

Hey Karen! It's Jennie. I was so touched by your blog. This all hits really close to home. My grandmother suffered with breast cancer for 7 years before finally being sent home to her loving Father in Heaven in Feburary. She suffered in silence. We never knew exactly what she was going through. She never complained and never wanted anyone to know when she was in pain. I am grateful for your blog that lets us see a glimpse of what she too went through. She was not a member and I prayed that she too could feel the love that the Savior has for her. She always said she knew there was a God but I pray that she could feel that love and that she realized she was never alone. Thank you for being so strong. I truely believe special people are given trials such as this. People who are so much stronger than we can ever comprehend. We love you and thank you again.

The Pin-Head Post said...

Karen you are so wonderful! I just barely found out and popped right on here! You and your family are most definitely in our prayers!

Sam Rimmasch LeBaron