Saturday, October 11, 2008

Radiation:no problem, but still not much HAIR!!

Krystal bought a whole bunch of inexpensive t-shirts that say SAN DIEGO on them at Old Navy. Since Eric is on a mission there, we love to think about that place. We hope his mission president will let us come pick him up, but if not, he can take us back on a trip to meet everyone.
Krystal's husband has a great camera, so my 4 silly daughters wanted to take a picture of us jumping up in the air, this is right before we "Took Off".......

I am feeling much better, the weather is so beautiful and cool, I love to be outside and you can see our back yard (all 10 acres of it that the city owns) makes a beautiful background.
Dale really wanted to have a place on the front part of the house that I could sit on and relax, so we took our old pink couch that is in great shape, but just very outdated in color and put a couch cover on it. I think I told you that he has been going crazy over planting flowers ALL over the yard, front and back, isn't this one pretty right next to me?He told me the other day that this PLANTING spree he's been on is his therapy for handling what's happening to me. He said he wants me to have a positive environment. It is looking very pretty and refreshing, I love it.

I wondered if anyone wanted to see what my hair growth looks like. I have not done chemo since Aug 15th, and I am feeling a touch impatient with it's SLOW growth back, even worse is that is appears to be GRAY!!
Now look at these pretty flowers. Dale and I had a 2 night get away and when we got ready to go, Dale had cut all these different roses , one from each bush he has planted. We thought is was so pretty, but I feared it would tip over in the car so we did not take it with us to the hotel.

Ok, here we are , we have made our jump up just so you could see how much energy I have back. It's not all back, and I am a little lower than the strong YOUNGER girls, even Heather got higher than me, and she is 8 months pregnant. The grandkids were all jealous that we were having so much fun, so we took a rather calm picture with all of them.

Krystal and Heather are holding their own babies , but I am holding Tara's new daughter, Kenya, and Kimberlee is holding Krystal's daughter Allie. Tara's twins were fighting over the CAR that we have, so Maddux decided he would ride around on the top, until he fell off. I don't think you can tell here, but Damon is going to be asking for his 2 front teeth for Christmas. In his hand, he had a little special box holding the tooth, since one of his previous losses really did get lost and even though he wrote a note to the tooth fairy, he didn't get very much money, so he wasn't taking a chance on losing this one.
I was told that I would have 30 radiations, and if you can believe it, I have already done 22. Only 8 more to go. I am NOT fatigued at all, and only a slight pink sunburn is starting that doesnn't hurt at all. I asked the DR how we could tell if this was working, and he said they can't. I was a little surprised, and asked why we do it. I guess there have been clinical trials where they did a lumpectomy and radiation (this is when the lymph nodes are not involved) and they found they don't have recurrence of lumps in that breast. Then they had women who just had the lumpectomy and NO radiation, and most of them had new lumps 6-12 months later, so I guess we are just ASSUMING that it is killing any microscopic cancer cells that the surgeon couldn't catch. The chemotherapy was for the bloodstream, which is if any cell broke off from the original tumor (there's only hundreds of thousands of cells on one tumor), it would travel through the bloodstream looking for somewhere else to set up camp. The chemo should have killed ANY cells that were multiplying and dividing quickly, and my tumor was very aggressiive Now, what do I do after all therapy is done? it's kind of scary. We had a lesson in Relief Society today about trials, and how we HAVE TO BE TRIED AND PROVEN, and the most important thing to Heavenly Father is for us to trust HIS WILL. As scared as I was of dying, I felt more peace today, and had a stronger desire to do whatever HE wants me to do. In Sacrament meeting, we sang, "I'll go where you want me to go", and I thought it Really is the Best to turn your will over to the Lord, and say, "What do you want me to do next?"

I am really trying to not be a brat about all this.
I am still reading JESUS THE CHRIST, and I can't believe it, I am enjoying it, even when I don't understand what he's really saying, but it's very interesting. I am feeling tonight that I can TRUST the Lord more, where at the beginning, I knew that was my weakness, so I am making progress.

Does anyone want to go out to lunch somewhere and celebrate when I finally get an answer from my regular cancer doctor that I have a few more years to live? I think before Christmas, he will order a PET scan that looks for any cancer spots or tumors that are anywhere else in the body. If the chemo did it's job,(along with all the prayers), there shouldn't be any more cancer. Now I will have to do self exams monthly and regular checkups and blood tests to stay on top of this. I know your prayers are still helping, THANX AGAIN I LOVE YOU ALL, Karen

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,
I've decided that you and your girls have way too much fun! And tell Dale he's doing a fabulous job on beautifying your environment-those who study psychology know how important a good environment is to emotional health:)How sweet of him!
I'm thrilled to know you're not in pain with the radiation. Once again, you're being blessed. Others have told me their experience with radaition has been quite painful.
We had the same lesson on trials in Relief Society. There is always so much class participation with that topic because everyone can relate in some degree. But when it's all said and done-you're absolutely right. No matter what, we have to trust Him.
Count me in for the celebration lunch! I mean seriously, how often do people get invited to go to lunch with their hero?
Love, Monique
ps Karen, it was so great to see you at the football game. You were all smiles and looked great. I've never seen prettier "gray" hair!

Ann Mitchell said...

I love the pictures! You are lucky to have a sister, and your girls to have 3! I'm up for lunch---so when you get up to Krystal's, call me. You can come to "School Lunch," or dinner! If you and Dale are up at the right time, a Jazz game?! Tell Dale he should be up for "Gardener of the Year!"

Anonymous said...

I too want to come celebrate with you! What an exciting time, it's like being re-born! And I think your hair is beautiful. How many of us wish we could regrow out our hair and get rid of all the damaged crap we have done to it? You are beautiful and Dale has done a great job on your yard, I am so excited for you to be done with treatments. Keep your spirits up and we will keep praying.

Diane said...

You and your girls are so cute! I love the pictures. I enjoyed spending time with you the other night. You are forever positive with everything you are going through. I love you for that. What a great group of women we have the opportunity to associate with. The guys aren't too bad either!
Love to you always,
Diane

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of Dale and his pretty flowers. He has really worked hard. I think we already talked about how important this was for him to have some control over something that was happening to feel like he could help create a more positive environment. Your lesson on Sunday was great. That fits right in with the Attributes of Christ. Whenever you feel down, read them again and find the specific points that apply to whatever you are feeling. This is a miracle for me to see how this really works. But then I'm boring you since we've already talked about all of this. Sorry. Glad you're feeling better.

Allred Family said...

Yippee!!
I miss you soooo much Karen. I am gald to see all your pictures. You are looking great. My hair looks about the same. Slow and steady, eh?
Please, please, please, call me and lets get together.
all my love!
Paige

Kylen and Adrienne said...

It was so much fun watching you and your girls take those pictures last month! You're an amazing person and we love visiting you when we come to St. George. Even though I (Adrienne) have only visited with you a few times, I feel like you're as close of a friend of mine as you are Kylen's. Your husband is a sweetheart and we wish you all the best until we see you again!

Megan said...

I want to go to lunch with you. I'll be down in St. George for Thanksgiving. I want to see you and all your girls. I love the jumping picture! You guys are so fun.

The Leggs said...

How pretty Dale's flowers are. I love those pictures. I can only imagine how much Eric is going to enjoy them and the support you are all giving him. I hope he will find Julie and give her a call. She could use the support, and a friendly face.

Mel said...

You are so beautiful. I love reading about you, your strength and your testimony.