Monday, May 3, 2010

I am IMMERSING myself in order to stay AFLOAT

Immersing To Stay Afloat



Does that sound like an oxymoron?
I think it does
but it is helping me to visualize it


The world around me sometimes scares me
I see unhappiness
I see struggles and wonder
could they have been avoided?

I know myself
I have a desire to control
everyTHING around me
and everyONE around me

I have a temper
I have determination
I have energy that can be used
for good or for bad

Lately I have seen others
sinking in despair
Sometimes I feel like I am "sinking"

I want to use my energy to
KEEP ME FROM SINKING

I was in the audience once when I heard Jeffrey Holland say,
"When you are in a storm, DON'T BAIL OUT, STAY IN THE BOAT,
it will get calm"



I have thought a lot about this
It has been a constant concern of mine,
ever since my CANCER diagnosis
What does that mean, "Don't bail out, stay in the boat" ?

What do you think it means?
I think I am going to stay with
The SAVIOR during my storms

I've thought about what I've
been doing with my life
since my "recovery" process
has begun (about 18 mos ago)


  • First I listed my priorities.
  • Second, I asked how much time I was spending on these "priorities".
  • Third, I made a specific plan to "immerse" myself.
  • Fourth, I kept (and keep) working on it.
  • Fifth, I envision myself "immersing, then STAYING AFLOAT"

My priorities: I listed what was most important to my well being. I figured I needed
  1. To take care of myself Spiritually
  2. To take care of myself Physically
  3. To take care of myself Emotionallly
  4. To take care of my family and home, Dale first, kids 2nd, house last.

If I take care of my spiritual life first, I will feel better and other things will fall into place. This comes from such a strong belief in God the Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ. THEY will take care of me, if I take care of myself Spiritually, I feel confident of this.
This would include the following:
Scriptures
Prayer
Temple worship
Family Home Evening
Institute class
Church meetings
Fasting
Uplifting Music

Physical Care would have:
Sleep
Proper food
Exercise
Dr s visits
Massages

Emotional Care would need:
Meditation
Reading/Pondering
Walks outside in good weather
Social Outlets

I knew that if I could take care of myself, I would feel good.
When I feel good, I treat others better around me.
I feel the Spirit, which allows me innumerable choices.
I can make whatever time I have left worthwhile to myself and those around me.

I wrote up a literal schedule of daily hours in a week and filled in the blanks of WHAT I was
going to do each hour that was congruent with my PRIORITIES.

Spiritually, if I IMMERSE myself, I am seeing more assurances. I feel like I can stay AFLOAT of so much DESPAIR that surrounds us.

I feel the temptations weakening and lessening as I STRENGTHEN myself.

I am no longer doing a lot of things that I DON"T WANT TO DO,
I WANT to do the things that build my STRENGTH,
  • Spiritually
  • Physically
  • Emotionally
  • with my Eternal Family
I am far from perfect, but I keep reminding myself how far this cancer journey has brought me. I acknowledge to myself that OVERALL, I am doing better than I have in the past.
I keep picking myself up, at least once a week, and then I try again the next day.

I see myself in a LARGE, WARM tub of water. I immerse myself up to my face. I want to surround myself with good uplifting things as much as I can. I try to let the upsetting things around me GO.....if at all possible. If it is NOT happening directly to me, I let compassion replace judgement, but I remind myself that it is not happening to me, and feel GRATITUDE.

Gratitude helps keep me AFLOAT.

Immersing myself in What I NEED is keeping me Afloat from the "sinking" despair of the World






6 comments:

Heather B said...

Wow, very insightful! What a great list. I love the visualization going on too. You really have come so far. It's been an awesome transformation. I am going to try to apply these things in my own life too, so thanks for sharing.

Heather B said...

P.S. I sure wish I could have regular access to the world's best masseuse, then I could add that to my physical list! You are blessed.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Keep that schedule for Jeff to see, because he has wondered what people do when there kids are all in school. Now you can show him!

I love your imagery. If you ever want to actually immerse yourself in a big warm tub I know where you can find one...

Love you mom!

Ann Mitchell said...

You should be an LDS novelist! You are a great writer! Since when do you have a temper?
Your spiritual list is fabulous! I know lately that you have been trying to follow it!

Alli E. said...

Great comments!

Elder Esplin said...

I'm still floatin' along with you! Thanks for all the inspiration to keep going and have gratitude for what I have been blessed with...a knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father who is always with me. I know He's there cheering me on as I float along in this life. We can do it!:) Miss you!