Sunday, April 4, 2010

Time to check for cancer again

Yes, it is that time of year. Since I started chemo in April of 2008, I will have a PET scan every April for 5 years, ( I think).

I have blood tests every few months, and Dr's visits every 3 months to check on everything.
A PET scan looks for cancerous tumors. If there are cancerous CELLS, they cannot detect those. There is NO test for that.
If there were to be a tumor anywhere in my body that is cancerous, it should show up.
I do this tomorrow morning, (Monday April 5th).
I have to eat low carbs, low sugar, and low dairy today. Lots of protein today.
Tomorrow I will go to the test fasting. They will give me a sweet drink that has some kind of chemicals in it, and after one hour of sitting in a recliner with NO stimulation ( a dark room that is perfectly silent), they will put me in a tube for about 30 minutes and ask me to stay PERFECTLY STILL for the whole time.
These things are all difficult for me to do. Luckily, I have some medication that will help me be still. Seriously, they tell you not to even THINK in your "relaxing" hour. Yeah, right.

I am VERY thankful that our healthcare is so wonderful!! and I mean that. I am grateful that they even HAVE a test to look for tumors, and I am lucky to have insurance to pay for it, about 3 thousand dollars.

I will find out the results on Friday when I see my regular oncologist, Dr. Lemon.

I am not worried. I know that I am not going to have any cancer anywhere. But then again, I know I am going to get up in the morning, and go to bed tomorrow night. In reality, ANYTHING is possible. Life holds NO guarantees.

This I do know, whatever happens, it will be OK. I have Heavenly Father and Jesus on my side.

4 comments:

Ann Mitchell said...

Good luck with everything!

Heather B said...

Wow, you're probably there right now. Saying a little prayer that you can be calm and still! :)

ROB AND HOLLY said...

It's amazing that it's already been a year. You are in our prayers!

Heather B said...

I found this quote by Elder Eyring and thought it was perfect for your other post about turning to the Lord. And my comment to you.

"Parents should teach their children to pray. The child learns both from what the parents do and what they say. The child who sees a mother or a father pass through the trials of life with fervent prayer to God and then hears a sincere testimony that God answered in kindness will remember what they saw and heard. When their trials come, they will be prepared."

Henry B. Eyring, "Write upon My Heart," Ensign, Nov. 2000, 85